Research generates economic opportunities that can be commercialized and help the provincial economy grow.
On this page
- Commercialization support organizations
- Business incubators locations
- Intellectual Property opportunities
- Innovation policy in other jurisdictions
Commercialization support organizations provide business support such as mentoring, business and market planning and access to professional services.
- Advanced Foods and Materials Network (AFMnet) does development in the area of advanced foods and bio-materials.
- Agriculture Technology Commercialization Centre located in Guelph encompasses three agricultural based organizations:
- Guelph Food Technology Centre (GFTC) is a global leader in food safety, quality and technical solutions and offers knowledge to companies in the food and beverage industry
- MaRS connects the communities of science, business and capital and fosters collaboration among them.
The funding links below connect to access to capital and a number of funding program links:
Private sources of equity / capital:
General Government Funding Programs
- Agricultural Adaptation Council
- Canadian Government Support to Small and Medium Sized Enterprises (SMEs)
- Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario Program
- Ministry of Economic Development, Employment and Infrastructure
- Ministry of Research and Innovation
- Northern Ontario Heritage Fund
- OMAFRA List of environmental programs
- Natural Resources Canada Directory of Energy Efficiency and Alternative Energy Programs in Canada Energy
Business Incubator locations for early stage businesses with access to business services:
- The Canadian Association of Business Incubation (CABI) is a national organization whose members support the development of enterprises through the business incubation industry. The CABI site contains links to business incubators across Canada.
- Toronto Food Business Incubator (TBFI) is an independent, non-profit organization that nurtures and assists entrepreneurs and small enterprises.
- MaRS Incubator helps entrepreneurs
from emerging science and technology firms to bring new and innovative
ideas to the marketplace.
Sources of intellectual property can be found in the following links:
- University of Guelph Business Development Office
- Canadian Intellectual property
- University of Toronto
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC)
To learn more about innovation policy in other jurisdictions:
For more information: